06 December 2007

England in actually-competent shocker

...I shouldn't jump the gun on declaring them competent, I guess, if past history is anything to go by. (Scolari and Hiddink, anyone?) But at least they seem to be looking at real candidates this time. I'm kind of surprised at myself, but I tend to think Mourinho's a good choice. I loathed him at Chelsea, but I think he might be good for England. If that team needs anything right now, it's someone who won't be overawed by the glamor of all the famous people on the team. Considering Mourinho apparently bought Shevchenko just to not play him and prove they could win anyway, I think he fits. Klinsmann, Capello, and Lippi would also be interesting -- I know Klinsmann speaks English, but I don't know about the other two. Mostly, though, I'm relieved to see that the FA isn't looking under every rock and bush trying to find an English coach who can do it. If McClaren taught them anything, it should have been that midlevel Premiership coaches aren't really up to the job. Even if they are English.

In other news, I'm more than a little ashamed to admit this, but I kind of love BobbyBoswell.com. Though someone needs to tutor Marc Burch on run-on sentences and the difference between its and it's. Just saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the England job and I'm ready to admit Mourinho may be the best match.

-- His defensive approach would fit nicely with England, who historically are at their best when the team is based on a staunch, stingy backline. It's what they do best, and they have enough talent to buckle down and keep them in any game (it's easy when you don't concede, regardless if you're not scoring). Methinks Jose could shore up and stabilize a defense that hasn't played up to its potential in some time.

-- All that talk about him knowing how to deal with big egos probably has some merit to it. I'm not sure how much of a problem that may have been in the locker room/training field for the Three Lions over the past few years, but I get the sense Mourinho is more than capable of wrangling any over-sized ego b/c his is easily the biggest. Plus, I'll give him credit, he's got a real backbone. He'll bench whomever and put out the correct personnel.

-- He's got an eye for talent granted, now he can't have it bought for him. But, he's seen the Premier League, he knows the players and is familiar enough with what all the English talent can do (I suppose that's a benefit when practically all of them refuse to try and ply their trade 'overseas').

-- It's been said the worse thing about the English job is the press. I ask you, is there a manager in the world who's demonstrated he's more-equipped to deal with the English press than the former Chelsea boss? He's taken his fair share and taken it in stride.

-- For as much as a lot of the other Premier League fans didn't like him but grudingly respect him, guiding the Three Lions to some level of success could really do wonders for his public image.